Friday, August 24, 2012

Sorry, I am NOT sorry my legs are bigger than my arms!

Ever heard of "skinny jeans"? Sure you have...

Well, just how "skinny" do you have to be to fit into some of these "skinny jeans"? Here, I'll show you with the help of Dr. Dae Sheridan (http://www.facebook.com/DrDae)



This photo was taken at a JC Penney's department store. And these are your average "skinny jeans" displayed on your average mannequin.


HELLO!!!

Do we NOT see what media, advertisements and society is doing to our psyche?!

What might your average teenage girl think when she walks down this aisle at JC Penney's? She'll probably think - "hmmm, I think I'd like a pair of those "skinny jeans"!" So, this same average teenager will likely grab her size and try them on. What do you think happens to the average teenager who tries on these "skinny jeans"?

I will tell you from my historical point of view because, like many other teenage girls out there, I had definitely been there before!

I will likely grab what I think is my size, probably about a 6, and I will grab a room. In this room, I will be faced by a horribly large mirror with horribly bright lights. I will probably be analyzing how horrible I feel about my lower half as I undress, even before attempting to try on these "skinny jeans". I'll slip in one leg, and I won't be able to pull it over my quadricep. I probably won't even attempt to include my other leg in this "try" cause I quickly know the result. I will pull them off and think, ughhh... I am not skinny enough - why can't I ever fit into these skinny jeans!? Everyone is wearing them, but I can't. I am too fat.

You know what historically came after that?

Guilt ----> Sadness ----> Unworthiness ----> Disgust ----> Low(no) self-esteem ----> Eating Disorder

Those, like me, who just so happen to have legs bigger than their arms will try to fit into this "skinny jean" style and end up feeling disappointed, feeling like there is something wrong with them, feeling inadequate and guilty.

Then they will diet, feel bad about themselves, think they are fat, etc, etc... you know what comes then? Depression, anxiety, eating disorders, wickedly low self-esteem... all thanks to society and its ridiculously absurd, media blasted, seriously unrealistic "skinny jean" standards!


Sure - some girls are naturally this thin. *SOME* - a few girls are naturally this size. 
And, to touch base on the other side of the equation, there are definitely girls out there that are depressed and feel unworthy just the same because they CAN'T gain weight... But, COME ON MEDIA... if I can easily recognize both sides, can't you!?!

These advertisements are for the general public; they are not just for *some* girls who are that size. Last time I checked, the average, general American girl has legs quite a bit larger than her forearm. 

Media, fashion, advertisement companies, magazines, modeling companies, etc... can you PLEASE acknowledge the general pubic in which you are trying to sell to. There is way more than one size - can you PLEASE lay off the "skinny jean" side.

Newsflash: America is full of Americans, not mannequins most likely mass-produced in China! And, OUR LEGS ARE BIGGER THAN OUR ARMS!!

SORRY, I am NOT sorry my legs are bigger than my arms!!

**Sign a petition HERE in regards to JC Penney's and other stores using more realistic mannequins!**

No comments:

Post a Comment