Saturday, May 21, 2011

Exercise & her health...

My ingenious Professor, Dr D., said something so un-eloquently profound today. He spoke in my Mind and Body Approaches seminar class this morning on The Psychological Benefits of Exercise.

"When people get off their asses physically, they're much more likely to get off their asses emotionally."

YES Dr. D.! Yes! Absoultely magnificent, real and really accurate...just simply profound!

Nothing else in the whole entire world can really grab me and pull me, or her, out my my deepest darkest funks like the thermogenic effect of EXERCISE! Thermogenic effect...fancy term for the warming of the body.

Exercise doesn't just warm her body. Exercise reawakens and rebirths her torn spirit, her hope (or lack there of), her run-away pride, her periodically peaceless mind...confidence, power and will power, self-efficacy and strength. All of these arise. All of these take center and re-ground her. Through the struggle, it'll be alright; it'll be alright.

Exercise: what a beautiful struggle.

The mind and the body cannot fight against each other anymore! They must collaborate. Together, they work vigorously, in union, in one direction, towards one unified goal: they work to lift that weight with that muscle; to push and to force that leg, left, right, left, right, up that steep hill, be it on ground or on peddles. The mind and the body must recognize it's discomfort...it's struggle. Through recognition comes acceptance. Through acceptance comes achievement. No one can reach an end goal without accepting and grasping on to the struggle enroute.

Exercise: what a beautiful struggle.

Exercise: what a multi-productive battle.
*Less stress & anxiety + more confidence & power => better OVERALL health & wellbeing (physically, of course...but most certainly mentally and emotionally!)

Praise God, not for gyms, treadmills, dumbbells & ellipticals... Praise God for our 2 feet, our 2 legs, our 2 hands, our 2 arms, our 10 fingers & toes! Praise God for our bodies.

We have all we need.
...You have all you need.
......I have all I need.
.........She has all she needs!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica-
    I went to HS with your Mom...and I read your blog yesterday and I was in tears. I have been up and down with the eating disorder issue with my daughter and myself for many years. And I will say a few prayers or a mantra or something that your new adventure goes well. My daughter is 25 and finally on a road to re-covery or in remission. She was married a year and a half ago and had a baby 6 months ago and this about put her over the edge, but she found an awesome OB who understood eating disorders and helped her through the pregnancy. Her husband is a personal trainer and studying to be a PA with a speciality in sports med. so her has helped her lose her baby weight in a healthy manner as she is breast feeding. Sorry that all of this is way more info then you want to here,But as a Mom I want to tell you I am proud of you and that life is always one small step at a time and to not worry about tommorow as it is going to come no matter what so worryig about it will not help. Just embrace your today and enjoy every minute of that TODAY. Good luck with your new job. You sound like a wonderful young woman and I feel proud to have known your Mom, she did a great job with you. Being a Mom is a hard job, we all make mistakes that we can't take back or change--we can only move forward and love our kids even more for what they are doing in that moment. Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Sue Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that was such an amazing comment. I thoroughly appreciate your words and compliments. My mom is awesome! I love her. Thanks for reading. Please share this with your daughter or anyone else you think might benefit. It's such a common struggle...

    ReplyDelete